Here are some pointers that will help keep your teeth whiter and minimize the occurence of bad breath:
1) Avoid bubbly soda pop and other acidic beverages. Drinks, like sports beverages, have enamel-stripping acids, like phosphoric, citric, malic, and tartaric acids. If you find that you need to drink them, rinse your mouth out with water afterwards.
2) Drink tea instead of orange juice. Unfortunately, even though there are tons of benefits from orange juice, the acids also help strip away the enamel, the protector of your teeth. You can try to drink black or green tea instead, because not only do they not harm the enamel, but they also contain fluoride.
3) Eat more greens, along with other vegetables and fruits. This prevents staining of your teeth. Apples, carrots, and celery help remove stains, whereas spinach, lettuce, and broccoli can act as stain barriers.
4) Eat some yogurt! Yogurt, which is full of probiotics, seems to help in the prevention of gum disease and tooth loss. If you have a couple of ounces each day, your oral health will benefit. The probiotics, also known as “good” bacteria, help balance the flora in your mouth, as well as your gut.
5) Use straws. If you use a straw, you mimimize the contact that certain beverages (ie. cola, iced tea, etc.) have with your teeth. If you put the tip of the straw by the back of your mouth, there is less contact between the teeth and the acids.