Important health tip from Dr Harold Katz: Maintain strong immunity defenses – Avoid dry mouth during cold and flu season
Everyone gets dry mouth from time to time. Dry mouth can be caused by a variety of medications, due to smoking or drinking alcohol, sleep apnea, etc. It’s not only unpleasant. It is also really bad for your health.
Your saliva is in your mouth for a variety of reasons. One of the most important is preventing germs from entering your body. Most germs enter your system through your nose and mouth. Outside of a cut, there are very few paths germs can take to gain entrance to your system.
When your mouth is producing a healthy level of saliva, the environment is inhospitable to most hostile germs. But when your mouth is dry, germs can find it much easier to infect your body as your primary means of defense is out of order. This is particularly worrisome during cold and flu season – when we are all indoors, sharing air with others, and germs are rampant.
Stay healthy this winter and keep your defenses up. Make sure your mouth stays moist. Avoid dry mouth with these 5 quick tips from your friendly Dentist.
5 quick tips for maintaining a moist and healthy mouth:
- Drink 8 glasses of water a day. Keeping hydrated is the best way of maintaining saliva production.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or using an alcohol-based mouthwash. Alcohol strips moisture from your mouth and reduces your ability to produce more saliva
- Check your medications. Over 75% of medication indicates dry mouth as a side effect. Talk to your doctor if your prescription drugs are causing excessive mouth dryness as they may be able to adjust your dosage or switch your medication to something less drying.
- Use a humidifier at night. Moist air can help reduce dry mouth as you sleep as well as reducing respiratory irritation.
- Pop a dry mouth lozenge whenever your mouth feels less than moist. TheraBreath Mouth Wetting Dry Mouth Lozenges are America’s #1 selling dry mouth lozenge and are available at Walmart, Target, Walgreens, and thousands of other stores across the US and Canada. They are also available directly from TheraBreath.com.
Have a great holiday season,
Dr. Harold Katz
Dentist and Bacteriologist,
Creator of the TheraBreath formulas
Quick Reminder: The TheraBreath Bonus Pak Sale is on now. Save 60% or more on all TheraBreath formulas for ONLY A FEW MORE DAYS. View the deals!
* $25 additional surcharge per Bonus Pak on orders shipped to Mexico.
† BONUS PAK items are available while in-stock only. There are no rain checks available. First come, first served.