During a recent publicity tour, Dr Katz gave this interview to GrowingBolder.com. In the interview he discusses the latest developments in the treatment of bad breath, gum disease, and other oral care problems. It’s a quick and fun segment with a number of interesting breath care tips. We hope you check it out!
Archive for July, 2008
It seems everyone is envious of those so-called Super Models. Almost every woman I know thinks that Super Models have it all. Well, that “all” may include BAD BREATH. Yes, Halitosis!
Over the past 13 years, many famous models have visited me at The California Breath Clinics. What I’ve learned is that when it comes to oral health they (as a group) are doing 4 things wrong:
1. They smoke: In order to keep their weight down, they have taken up smoking. Smoking kills the taste buds, and indirectly kills appetite. It also makes the mouth very dry, and for those of you who have visited www.therabreath.com, you know that dry mouth quickly leads to bad breath. For research on dry mouth: http://www.therabreath.com/art_drymouth.asp
2. They drink alcohol. A model’s life is hard work – and then party, party, party (Well that’s what they tell me). Alcohol makes your mouth dry instantly and (again) dry mouth leads to bad breath because a dry mouth creates an “anaerobic” friendly enviroment perfect for the bugs that creat bad breath (and gum disease too). Note: There is more alcohol in commercial mouthwash formulas than an entire 6 pack of beer, so be careful when you choose your source of alcohol.
3. Lots of Stress and little sleep. Studies show that Stress leads to bad breath. Stress leads to a dry mouth because that’s how our sympathetic nervous system works (The fight or flight phenomenon).
4. One common “bad habit” of models (and probably the easiest to overcome) is SKIPPING Breakfast. By skipping breakfast, you can extend your morning breath until you finally eat something. Here’s why: When you sleep your brain knows that you will not be eating. Consequently, your brain turns down saliva production. Since saliva contains a high concentration of oxygen (acting as a natural enemy of anaerobic bacteria), a lack of saliva will create an environment beneficial to the anaerobic sulfur producing bacteria at the core of bad breath (and gum disease too). But, as soon as you put something in your mouth in the morning, your salivary glands kick in and provide oxygen-rich saliva to eliminate morning breath.
How I helped super models to have everything (including fresh breath):
1. Told them to eat “something” when they wake up. You don’t need much to kick start saliva production.
2. Stop smoking and cut down on drinking alcohol (I’m a realist). Hint: If you do have an adult beverage, you can dilute the dry mouth affect of the booze, by sipping some water immediately afterwards.
3. All of these models now use TheraBreath formulas – TheraBreath Mouthwash and Toothpaste as their basic oral hygiene regimen. http://www.therabreath.com/productdetail.asp?cat=1&pid=104.
When their mouth becomes dry after a long day, they suck on some ZOX lozenges: http://www.therabreath.com/art_breathmint.asp
They all know to drink 6-8 glasses of water daily, but with oxygen-rich TheraBreath formulas, they’re now able to fight the anaerobic bacteria.
Harold Katz DDS
I will be doing several LIVE TV interviews in Arizona from Monday July 14 — Wednesday July 16. Here is my Arizona TV schedule. I hope you can tune in:
- Mon July 14: Phoenix: Between 8-8:30 am – KTVK-TV (3TV – the CW network)
- Tue July 15: Phoenix: Between 8-8:30 am – KSAZ-TV (FOX 10 Arizona Morning)
- Wed July 16: Phoenix: Between 9-10 am – KNXV-TV (Channel 15 – Sonoran Living Live)
- Wed July 16: TUCSON: Between 4-5 pm – KVOA-TV (News 4 at 4pm)
Harold Katz DDS
I just got back from several days testing bad breath in the Twin Cities and I am happy to announce that the residents of Minneapolis/St. Paul Smell Great (and that includes all of the media people I tested with my Halimeter). Why is that? Well, it could be because TARGET stores (based in Minneapolis) carry TheraBreath Oral Rinse. Or it could be due to all the media I’ve done there before.
Here I am on Twin Cities Live (KSTP) on July 9, 2008:
And here is a video of me on KARE-TV (July 10, 2008):
During the week of July 14, I’ll be in Arizona testing bad breath on several TV show. I’ll post the list tomorrow.
But, if you would like to see me testing the breath of your favorite news anchor, let us know (and also contact your local TV or radio station – and we’ll see what we can do).
Harold Katz DDS