Post Nasal Drip and Nasal-Sinus Congestion Will Transform a Case of “Normal” Breath into BAD Breath and “Bad” Breath into HORRIBLE Breath!
- How to Eliminate That Annoying ‘Frog-in-the-Throat’ Feeling!
- Why Your Over-the-Counter Anti Histamine Could Be Making The Problem Even Worse!
- If You Have Post Nasal Drip – It’s Guaranteed To Affect Your Breath!
Dr. Harold Katz, Founder
California Breath Clinics
Bad Breath is very closely related to post nasal drip, excess mucus, sinus problems, your tonsils, and tonsiloliths.
If you recall from my book ‘The Bad Breath Bible‘, remember that the bacteria which cause bad breath and sour/bitter/metallic tastes are anaerobic (live without oxygen). Their goal in life is to break down the proteins in foods that we eat. However, under certain conditions, they will also start to break down the proteins found in mucus and phlegm.
Therefore, those people who suffer from post nasal drip, sinus problems, and other such ailments are more prone to bad breath and lousy tastes because the bacteria use the mucus as a food source and start to extract sulfur compounds from the amino acids that make up the proteins found in all this excess mucus.
Scientifically, the anaerobic bacteria that cause bad breath “love” the amino acids Cysteine and Methionine, which are the building blocks of the proteins that are found in mucus (and phlegm) and in dairy foods, too. In fact, many people notice that when they drink too much milk or eat too much cheese they end up with more mucous or phlegm in their throat (see my article on Foods that may cause bad breath). This is a natural reaction for many people and unfortunately, ends up causing more bad breath and lousy taste.
If you still have your tonsils, you may be harboring a higher number of the bacteria which can lead to an “interesting” and very often misunderstood phenomenon, called TONSILOLITHS. Literally translated, they are “tonsil stones” produced by the conglomeration of mucus draining down the back of the throat and the volatile sulfur compounds created by the bacteria which easily end up in the “nooks and crannies” of the tonsils, every time one swallows. I can’t tell you how many stories I’ve heard from my patients who asked their dentist what these objects were, and more often than not the answer was ‘food particles’. This couldn’t be further from the truth! For more information, see my article about Tonsil Stones.
If you suffer from excess mucus, sinus congestion and post nasal drip there are essentially only a few different routes that you can take:
- Use medication and or drugs to dry up the sinuses and prevent mucus buildup – all the while being careful to avoid a dry mouth, a likely side-effect of virtually all antihistamines. Dry mouth is the most common initiator of bad breath because it mimics an anaerobic environment, perfect for the “bugs” to pump out Volatile Sulfur Compounds. You should be careful about using any antihistamine too frequently – many are habit forming!
- Use TheraBreath Nasal Sinus Formula. By squeezing 3-4 drops into each nostril (and then lightly inhaling to move the potent formula through the sinus) twice daily, most people can finally experience that fresh breath and taste feeling by eliminating the production of sulfur compounds created by the reaction of mucus and the anaerobic sulfur producing bacteria…
- For chronic sinus problems, many patients will find relief by using the Hydropulse® (an amazingly effective Nasal-Sinus Irrigator, designed by an Ear Nose & Throat specialist) to flush the sinuses. (Works even better when you add just 2-3 drops of AktivOxigen serum into the trough before each use).
- Minimize the amount of post-nasal drip in your throat and sinuses, and eliminate the #1 side effect of excess mucus (Bad Breath!) by using oxygenating oral care products, such as TheraBreath, TheraBreath PLUS, AktivOxigen, PerioTherapy, and TheraBrite.
Medication and Drugs MAY help Prevent Post-Nasal Drip, But At What Cost?
There are dozens of different over-the counter nasal decongestants and antihistamines you can use to help relieve congestion and dry up excess mucus, and some of them are very good at what they claim… but mostly they are TOO GOOD! They create an extremely dry mouth, which exacerbates bad breath. And even in cases where the dry mouth side effect is minimal, when you stop taking that medication the problem comes back, and almost always with a vengeance! This is because in some cases, your body will actually develop a resistance to any antihistamines or nasal decongestants, especially nasal sprays (be careful, because many sprays are habit forming – but NOT TheraBreath formulas!)
Suffice it to say, this should NOT be an option that you pursue.
Use a Nasal-Irrigator such as the Hydropulse® to Flush Your Sinuses free from Excess Mucus
Click to Add to Cart
Nasal Irrigation is probably the most effective method of eliminating post-nasal drip and helping to control sinus infections. The Hydro Pulse Sinus Irrigator is an FDA registered device supported by over 37 published medical reports. The unique pulsatile irrigation of the Hydro Pulse helps to restore ciliary function and relieve post nasal drip. A short period of regular use can stimulate the cilia (the tiny hair-like fibers in the nasal sinus passages) to restore their natural protective “sweeping & cleansing” action.
When you feel a sinus condition come on, or feel that you have persistent post-nasal drip and excess mucus, consistent daily use for 10 days should result in a clearing of the condition.
For best results, we recommend a combination of this easy-to-use home instrument with an oxygenating solution such as AktivOxigen serum.
Stop Bad Breath Associated with Post-Nasal Drip, Excess Mucus, and Sinus Problems
For people who don’t really have sinus problems, just “off and on” or seasonal post-nasal drip, then an alternative (and better) solution might be to minimize the amount of excess mucus in the back of the throat and more importantly to make sure you neutralize the odor caused by this excess mucus.
You see, the proteins in mucus make an excellent food source for the anaerobic bacteria that cause bad breath. The bacteria feed off the amino acids, Methionine and Cysteine, and create extremely odorous and lousy-tasting Volatile Sulfur Compounds as by-products, which are the odors and lousy tastes found in the medical condition halitosis, which YOU (or maybe everyone around you) more commonly knows as bad breath.
There are three key formulas that most of my patients find extremely effective at neutralizing the odor caused by post-nasal drip:
Keep in mind that we always recommend using an oxygenating oral rinse and toothpaste such as TheraBreath as the primary ingredients of any breath treatment program
Nasal-Sinus Drops Eliminate Odor From The Sinuses
These drops are highly effective at cleansing the sinuses (a very hard-to-reach area) of the volatile sulfur compounds that cause bad breath.
One Bottle – $12.00
Click to Add to Cart
Nasal-Sinus Drops Instructions for Use:
- Blow nose before use
- Tilt back head and gently press sides of dropper bottle to release 3-4 drops into each nostril
- Allow nasal-sinus drops to slowly run back through your sinuses and down the back of your throat
- *Important* – Allow drops to remain in the sinus cavity for at least 1-2 minutes. So, do not blow nose for at least that length of time.
AktivOxigen Tablets Create an Unflavored Oral Rinse to Cleanse the Back of the Throat
These tablets make an unflavored oral rinse that you can actually swallow – this gets much deeper down in the throat than just regular rinsing, and it will actually help break down post-nasal drip congestion and excess mucus in the throat.
12 Tablets – $42.00
Click to Add to Cart
AktivOxigen Tablets Instructions for Use:
- Dissolve 1 or 2 tablets (creates a double-strength formula) in the 8 Ounce Mixing Bottle. Be sure to use the opaque bottle that comes with the system otherwise the solution will lose its potency.
- Shake well for 10-20 seconds
- Before bedtime, tilt your head back and swallow 1 or 2 capfuls of the solution. Let it slowly run over your throat and tonsil area for maximum effectiveness.
- *Important* – Do not drink or eat anything for 5 minutes after using the AktivOxigen solution. Many of our patients say that they get the best results when they use it right before they leave the house in the morning and again, as the last thing they do before they go to sleep.
- Keep cap tightly closed after use
TheraBreath Extinguisher Spray With It’s Patented 6.9cm Spray Nozzle Reaches The Back of the Tongue Where Few Other Sprays Can Reach
The Extinguisher Spray has been extremely popular – its patented 6.9 cm Extinguisher Nozzle applicator is very effective at applying the formulas to the back of the throat and tonsils, which is a very common problem area for people with post nasal drip and excess mucus.
One Bottle – $8.00
Click to Add to Cart
Extinguisher Spray Instructions for Use:
- Shake well before use
- Place the nozzle on the back of your tongue (so that it holds down your tongue) pointing to the very back of your throat and tonsil area
- Dispense 2-3 sprays or until you feel that the entire area is covered.
- Use as often as necessary to maintain a ‘fresh’ oral environment
When I first started treating my own daughter’s breath problem 10 years ago, I never dreamed that I would end up helping so many people all over the world who had the same problem, which my fellow dentists ignored or misdiagnosed for far too long. It was only a few years into our clinical therapy that I realized that “Every case of bad breath is different and that there is no such thing as one formula to treat every case of halitosis.”
We’ve been here for the last 10 years to help our patients prevent bad breath, sinus congestion, and lousy tastes, and we’ll be here for many more years to come. If there is anythingwe can do to help, please don’t hesitate to contact us – that’s why we’re here!
-Harold Katz, DDS